Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 3 BP#3 Comments to Marty Denson



Marty Denson wrote:
While reading chapters 5 through 8 of The Art of Possibility, I was most intrigued by chapter 8, which speaks of giving way to passion. My first thought was that I felt I must share this idea with my students as way to suggest to each of them how important it is to be completely committed to the activities they choose to take on. I often remind them that participating in any activity or organization for the sake of tile, position, and/or stature is neither beneficial to them nor the activity or organization they are involved in. Reading the suggested two steps in giving way to passion are notable concepts that I will include when discussing this overall theme of passion to my students.

How gratifying it was for me when chapter 8 later used Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata as an analogy to long lines discussed in that chapter. That particular sonata, which is one of my most favorite pieces to perform, is ironically the piece that I often use to demonstrate several concepts when working with select students. I think because of the familiarity of the piece, students become more engaged, which allows me to really articulate the expressive movements within the music. The Moonlight Sonata, when misinterpreted musically, bares a strong resemblance to life itself. Just as in the Moonlight Sonata, life can produce a “dull and numbing performance” when emphasis is placed in the wrong areas.

The heart of the matter, in my opinion, and as suggested in the reading, is that knowing your passion and allowing yourself to be consciously open to discovering that energy and life force, enables you to demonstrate a positive uniqueness. That uniqueness in expression is what brings meaning that extends beyond the “meaning viewed from the ground.”


Marty,
Life is very much like music. Sometimes we're rock-n-roll, sometimes jazz, sometimes the blues and sometimes we're just downright elevator music. We have all had times in our lives were we seem to be stuck on the 8th floor, trapped between passion and responsibility. Life is wonderful when passion and responsibility combine their lyrics, but they won't always play in perfect harmony. There will always be times in life where we will be forced to things that we really don't want to do and that is not always wrong. Sometimes passion must sit second chair to responsibility. The important thing is that you lead from the chair you are in with the same passion as if you were in the chair you would have chosen to be in and eventually you will find yourself where you really want to be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment